Saturday, May 1, 2010

Swifter WetJet Refill Recipe - Antibacterial Formula

Yes, I'm frugal. I also believe children should have chores. My children do the sweeping an mopping of the main rooms, but I'm not an ogre. About a year ago, I bought a Swifter WetJet battery operated mop to make mopping a little easier for the kids.

The first time they mopped, they used an entire bottle of the WetJet solution. At $7 a pop, with mopping 2 to 3 times a week, my easy solution quickly turned into a $50 to $90 a month problem.  So I put on my frugal mom hat (cheapskate hat is too vulgar), and I figured out how to refill the bottles and what to refill it with.


First step: remove cap.

The easiest way to do this without destroying the bottle is to use pliers, squeeze the cap like you would a childproof medicine bottle, and twist. I've used the same 2 bottles for the last year now, and I've had no problems with leakage.

Some people say that the rubber center of the cap pops in and out, but when I tried it with my first bottle, it leaked everywhere and I never could get it to work well again.

Cleaning Solution Recipe
  • 2 tsp Murphy Oil Soap (found with other cleaning solutions at the store). Has a mild scent and adds that extra soap factor to it.
  • 1/2 cup plain vinegar
  • 1 tsp Tea Tree Essential Oil (for its antibacterial properties)
  • warm water
Pour the ingredients into the open Swifter bottle. Add warm water to about 2" from the top.  Replace the cap by HAND-tightening it. Use a towel if it's slick. Don't use the pliers to tighten it (I broke the top to the bottle right after the picture was taken. The plastic is not sturdy enough to tighten that way.)

Where do I get my Tea Tree Essential Oil? Where I get most of my essential oils: online at Camden Grey. Their shipping time can be a bit slow, but they don't overcharge for either their products of shipping. If you don't like tea tree, you can also use Lavender 40/42 essential oil, Eucalyptus essential oil, Peppermint essential oil, or try a different one. Be careful that some are a little caustic and can eat through things like vinyl floor. Test it first, but remember that it is really diluted.

And DO NOT use fragrance oils. They are not natural and don't have the antibacterial properties that EO's have.

No comments:

Post a Comment