Sunday, February 14, 2010

Auction Soaps 14, 15, 16 & 17

More UCBR auction soaps! I've been a busy beaver, and I'm getting closer to my goal of 30, and I still have 6 days before my deadline in order to give the soaps 8 weeks to cure.

Top Row from left to right:

#14 Eucalyptus Mint - a blend of peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils scented soap made into a layer of light green and a layer of dark green using oxides to color.

#15 Chocolate Mint - one of my all time favorites! I scent the entire soap with peppermint essential oil and then add cocoa powder to half of it. It smells edible (but don't eat it!).

Bottom row from left to right:

#16 Cedar - I needed some man-ly scents, and I love the smell of cedar (who else goes through the lumber section of Home Depot smelling the wood?). A semi circle bar with a dark wood green color.

#17 Patchouli Orange - In a beautiful Celtic knotwork square - I scented this bar with patchouli essential oil and an essential oil mix of mandarin, tangerine, and sweet orange essential oils. I tried to color it orange, but it came out a light orange-brown, which is still very pretty.

They are all still a little sticky. Making the small one pound batches is a bit trickier than one would think, so I have to add a little more water than I normally would, which leaves the soap a bit stickier for longer. A good air curing will take care of that, and in about 4 weeks they should be nice and hard.

But the molded ones, like the Celtic knot, are difficult to get out of the molds without messing up the pretty bits. Which is why I have a batch of lemongrass in the freezer - 'cause I still can't get it out of the Chinese character molds.

No comments:

Post a Comment