Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What I did While I was in the Hospital


Okay, maybe I didn't do the whole thing while I was in the hospital, but I finished it while sitting on an emergency room bed. Turns out that it was nothing serious - the ER visit that is. But it gave me some quiet time to work on my stitching and take a break from soap making.

This will turn into my SCA green belt (I'm apprenticed to HE Master Charles Pierre de Bourbon). It's a pair of Celtic ravens based off the knotwork and birds from the Book of Kells. I modified some of the art in Master Gerald of Ipsley's book Celtic Embroidery, of course after I verified it's from the BOKs.


It's normal DMC cotton thread done on a linen background in a split stitch. The stitch is contemporary to the period of the Book of Kells. If I had done it in linen thread rather than cotton, it would be totally period (except the black thread - they didn't have true black). But since it was my first full fill-in embroidery attempt, I went with cheaper thread.

I think it came out very nice. My stitching is more even, and I learned a great deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment