Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Last 2 Auction Soaps: #27 & 28

There they are! The last 2 batches of soap I made for the 2010 UCBR Auction (for details see the link).

#27 (top) - Aloe Soap: I don't know why it looks purple, but it is really green!!! Maybe a blue-green - I'll give it that, but certainly not purple. I added a good bit of raw, uncolored aloe to the soap at trace, and it I have high hopes for this one. It put it in a flower and leaf mold. Totally unscented.

#28 (bottom) - Carrot Juice Soap:  I never thought my juicer would be used in making soap, but the carrot juice colored the soap beautifully.  I added it at trace (instead of simply subbing the juice for the water at the beginning of the soap process) so that the properties in the juice would be less harmed.  Like the Aloe Soap, this one is unscented.
The mold is the Celtic Triquetra w/in a Triquetra, which is an ancient Celtic design found in art like the Book of Kells, chiseled into stone, in metalwork, and even used later in Viking artwork. What it means, we really don't know. It may symbolize any of the Celtic three-fold Goddesses, like Brigid. Although it dates before Christian times, it was used to symbolize the Trinity as well.   Though if you know me, you know I picked the mold for my love of Celtic knotwork rather than anything it symbolized.

This weekend while at an SCA event, I was asked if my soap would be available to those not attending the auction.  I do take custom soap order starting at $1 an ounce and with a 2 pound minimum of the same type (it's difficult to make cold process soap 1 bar at a time!).  I still encourage everyone, even if you're not a church member, to make it to the auction.  I probably won't have this much variety of scent, color and shape in one place until next year's auction!

Of course the alternative is to make it yourself.  As soon as I get my chicken scratched notes in order (tonight or tomorrow), I'll post my recipes for all 28 of the soaps.  I do warn you, soap-making is addictive.

I'm already planning my next scheme, I mean project, for this year's auction: 12 Weird Jellies.  But first I have to figure out a way to make a poll on Blogspot. I can't decide from my list of 24 which 12 to make, so I need help deciding.

No comments:

Post a Comment